Friday, August 3, 2007

1/2 way home...

Today is a fairly big day. As of right now there is more time behind me than in front of me (here that is...not in my life). Today marked the half-way point of my time here. Can you believe it has been 3 weeks! I don't know what it's like back home but time is FLYING here.

So, what should I talk about today? The last few days have been really hard here. After the counseling, pre-marital counseling, marriage enrichment counseling (all of which were really fun and really helpful) we moved into 2 days of suicide counseling and today was domestic violence. Monday is sexual assault. I know that this training is good but it was really hard today. They played a tape of a 6 year old girl calling 911 because her dad was basically killing her mom. You couldn't miss the terror in her voice. They also showed us a few pictures. Not pretty.

The part that really infuriated me was the way the pastors in these stories responded. They kept telling these women to go home because "God hates divorce." even after their husbands had beat them and pointed loaded guns at them and told the women they were going to kill them. I thought, surely this is outdated, but then one of the teachers here was talking about doing a workshop with civilian clergy on domestic violence and HALF the pastors in the room said that the woman probably did something to deserve it! I just got sick to my stomach. Also, the way the abusers were using Scripture to justify their beating up their wives was just twisted. I'm not saying I support divorce in cases of abuse...I am just saying that common sense and human decency says "Get her out of that house!" Needless to say, after these last 3 days I am emotionally spent. I really don't feel like I have much left to give. Thank God that today was Friday and I get 2 days away from class (although I do have to write a paper this weekend). What is going on Monday you ask? Sexual assault! That will mark then end of our counseling training.

I will say this, as hard as the last few days have been I am REALLY glad that I got this training. I feel SO much more prepared to deal with these counseling situations than I did a few weeks ago. God forbid that I should ever have to use it, but if I have to, I will be much more able to help people than I otherwise would have been. I don't know how hard it has been on the church to have me gone, but I can tell you, you are getting back a much better youth pastor than you loaned out...there's a whole new picture for "return it in the same shape you borrowed it."

So...things you can pray about. I turned in a project today, I have a paper to write this weekend and an take home (a take hotel test just sounds weird) test for Monday night. In all seriousness, there are days that are better and there are days that are worse and the only thing I can figure is that the better days must be when people are praying for me. We're half-way home. Can't wait to see you all again. Wendy and I (and Grace) really miss everyone...well I guess not everyone. There is that one person...you know who you are. 8-)

9 comments:

Jessire said...

Hey, Glad to here that you are learning a lot. I will pray for those things that you asked us to pray about. Glad to here that you are 1/2 way done. Miss you all.

Rich said...

Gabe, Thank you for your honesty, thoughts and feelings...it gives me much to think about. Unfortunately society influences Christians, Pastors and Churches; often times without our knowledge, and many times it's only with the passing of years that the error (sin) is seen. Yancey's Book SOUL SURVIVOR, How my Faith survived the Church, is a great read about subjects like this.

You, Wendy and Grace mean so much to so many of us, we can't help but miss you. That assures that we will keep you in our prayers, better then if you were in our midst.

There has never been a doubt in my mind that God's hand has been involved in this to allow His will to be known in and through you; Not only to the Grace Family in Huxley, Iowa, but to others, the world over, whom you will have direct and/or indirect contact with.

In the shadow of the Cross
Rich

lauralynne said...

gabe

am i the one person you dont miss??

=[

Mara the Butterfly said...

"In all seriousness, there are days that are better and there are days that are worse and the only thing I can figure is that the better days must be when people are praying for me." -You

Nope. Couldn't be. I can speak for several people who pray for you every day. You're going to need to re-work that theory. Sorry man.

Mara

Corey said...

Gabe,
Just remember as you enter the home stretch, it is not your legs that are tired.

Tristan said...

1 Corinthians: 12
Spiritual Gifts
1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.
4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.






To Gabe: I give you this passage to read because at Jeremy and Aleah's you were talking to me about spiritual gifts and how giving praise and encouraging others could be one of my gifts. First off: I think you're right. I think you're spiritual gift is knowledge. I have no doubt that when you have to use all of the stuff that they're teachhing you about random stuff. You will figure out a way to use it. You said ,"Needless to say, after these last 3 days I am emotionally spent. I really don't feel like I have much left to give." You got to keep going and you have to keep learning. Anyway, why are they teaching sexual assault to youth pastors??

Tristan said...

sorry about the really long comment. Luv ya bro-Tristan

Rich said...

Hey tdiddy2010 (Tristen), I visited your blog: "The Info You Want, Kinda on Demand"

Your Post "God Working In The Fields" is Great! Keep writing from the heart...your good at it.

Now I have a couple blogs I can read for inspiration.
Rich

Summer Lee said...

Gabe,
I can imagine that you would be emotionally spent after that type of training. In fact, it's comforting in a way to be so spent because obviously that means your heart is soft toward the people behind the issues you're learning of. That's a good thing in a hard package.
We really miss you guys around here. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Hang in there and tell your ladies Hi.
Free in Him,
Summer Lee